06 June 2007

mini-aftermath, etc

Just so you're not left hanging as to what the hell happened after the last post:

1. I realized that my mom called not the hospital, but the at-home care medical group that she's registered with. Sneaky.

2. My mom had multiple visitors, including the nurse practitioner, and by the end of the day she was feeling a little better. She also took more oxycontin, but it hasn't "fixed" everything by far. The NP called the actual hospital but all THREE of her doctors were not around -- my mom says it's conference season or something. We'll have to find out what to do in such cases!

3. I didn't mention last night that she was also feverish and seems to have a cold. So that's probably part of the loss of appetite.

4. My dad got home, went to get watermelons for mom (she was craving the fluid) and also made soup which she managed to put down. This part definitely sounds like a bad cold.*

5. Tomorrow (i.e. tonight on the East Coast) they'll go earlier than usual to the hospital, and the main concern will be to address the rock-hard intestines. I really hope they can address her overall nutrition too.

6. Yes, I did get the expected email from my dad saying I should have called. Also had a heartwrenching description of what it's been like the last few days. I'll leave it at that. I wish I could hug him right now too.

OK. Have to work now. Thought about not coming in, but realized I left my cell phone on my desk and will need it for the LA trip. Sigh.

Thanks for listening.

*The tricky part is that because chemotherapy damages your immune system, we have to take and treat colds very seriously.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Thanks for sharing so much about your family. It is heartwarming to see the ways in which you all stay connected and are sharing that connectivity with a wider community. I'm saying prayers for your Mom, and all of you. Remind me of your parents names...Love to you all, Deb

Emi Macuaga said...

Thank you so much for your love & prayers Deb. They are Yoko and Javier.